Friday, June 25, 2010

The Cult of Apple

The line wrapped around the block. And this was the special "reserved" line. I had one day to pick up my new iPhone  I reserved at the Santa Barbara Apple store. Along with hundreds of others. The line moved slowly. Post Office slow. DMV slow. 1 1/2 hours and still waiting and I felt abused. The crowd cheered enthusiastically when security allowed another pathetic soul into the store. We all took one step closer.  This is ridiculous. Apple Store employee Mimi cheerfully greeted me  when I finally entered. But my niceness had long since evaporated.
"I'm in a bit of a hurry, Mimi, I would just like to purchase my phone and get back to work."
"No problem" says Mimi, " but first can I interest you in Mobile Me?"
"No thank you"
"...Apple Care?"
"No"
"... more text messages?"
"No, please..."
"... perhaps a nice case?"
"No"
"... Do you want fries with that?"
"NO!" My God, get me out of here!

I rushed out of the store, phone in hand. I voluntarily signed up for this abuse, but let me tell you, I don't have to like it.

No comments: