Sunday, August 23, 2009

Plantar Faciitis



Plantar Faciitis is one of those nagging injuries that can last for months. I haven't had a problem for years, but it reared its ugly head after my Ironman race. Here is how I handled the beast.

1. Ditch your old shoes and get some new running shoes.
2. Wear supportive shoes at all times. No bare feet or flip flops.
3. Self massage. I use these round rubber spikey things, but some people just roll their foot on a golf ball.
4. Stretch your calf and hamstring muscles
5. Ice your foot after every run and before you go to bed.
6. Dorsal Night Splint- It holds your foot in dorsal flexion while you sleep. It really helps prevent that initial pain when you first get up in the morning. I got mine from ActiveAnkle.com.

That's my secret. It works for me. It will work for you.

No comments: