Sunday, March 15, 2009

Just Fix it

This is my fixey. I bought it a few years ago, a novelty to tootle around town. A fixey is a fixed gear bicycle. One gear. No free wheel. No coasting. To go, you spin. To stop, you stop spinning. A true fixey has no brakes, making it quite exciting if you find yourself careening towards on coming traffic. A fixey is not for the faint of heart. This is why I was quite surprised to find a fixey descending the Harris Grade at this weekend's Solvang Century. As I started my decent down this 6%, 2 mile stretch, I noticed a man furiously pumping his legs. As we approached 40 mph, his legs were a blur, an out of control egg beater. My God, I thought, he is on a fixey! I was mesmerized. Will he crash? Will his legs fall off leaving him a just a bloody torso? When we reached the flats, I pulled up beside him. "I salute you Mr. Fixey of the Solvang Century." That was the most impressive athletic feat I've seen in a while.

Day 70 of Ironman-2 hr bike, moderate effort
Day 71- AM, Masters swim
Day 72- run, 1 hour
Day 73- Masters swim
Day 74- Solvang Century, steady effort, followed by a 30 min run
Day 75- Run- 6 miles on track, 145 HR, 2 hour bike

No comments: