Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Shave Ice

As we finished our hike through Diamond Head crater, my Midwestern in laws gravitated toward a roach coach colorfully emblazoned with "Hawaiian Shave Ice". I was a little wary.
"There are only a few places where you can get authentic shave ice", I explained. I peered inside and sure enough, "They are making snow cones, not shave ice." I walked away. "Whats the diff?" they asked, thinking I was some sort of snow cone snob. "Real shave ice is made from a razor sharp blade skimming an ultra thin layer off a rotating block of ice. It is topped with syrups from exotic tropical fruits. I like guava or lilikoi. Snow cones are made from crushed ice. You probably like them in grape or cherry. Not the same." They turned around and headed back to the roach coach, probably thinking I was crazy. They ordered cherry.


Shave Ice is da kine, and my buddy Barack agrees.

No comments: