Saturday, August 09, 2008

Tour de Lake


Today was a good day. I successfully defended the yellow jersey of the Tour de Lake. The attacks came early and often. The first came soon after I pulled out of the East Beach parking lot. Team Guy-with-panniers-and-reflective-vest launched a furious attack on Cemetery Hill, the first climb of the day . When he stopped for a smoke near the Biltmore, I put the hammer down and dusted him. Next on Hwy 192, Out-0f-town-tri-girl closed the gap and pushed the pace to the top of Toro Canyon. Fortunately her descending skills weren't quite up to snuff and her attack was denied. I rode hard and steady, my solo break away seemed to be working. Along the coast, Guy-riding-in long-pants-and-no-helmet made a brief challenge. No problem. I was confident as I rounded the Bird Refuge that victory was in hand. As I approached East Beach I caught Family-of-four-riding-a-surrey making a move out of the corner of my eye. I dug deep and snaked them at the line back into the parking lot. Victory was sweet. I must recover now. Tomorrow I will be attempting the arduous San Ysidro Trail climb with the Nerd Herd. I will be doing this without the aid of supplemental oxygen.

No comments: